Spinach Salad with Dates
From Woodruff, Utah, Donna Higbee suggests, "Try this unusual salad that has dates as a sweet surprise."
14 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup cider or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons diced onion
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 10 cups torn fresh spinach
- 3 cups torn iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 large red onion, sliced
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- Combine the first seven ingredients in a blender; cover and process
- for 30 seconds. Pour into a jar with a tight-fitting lid; chill for
- 2-3 hours. In a large bowl, toss remaining ingredients. Shake
- dressing; pour over salad. Yield: 14 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 161 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 191 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.