I've been serving this salad on special occasions for more than 20 years. It's a new and interesting way to eat spinach.
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1/4 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Cherry tomatoes, optional
- In a saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over broth; let stand for 5 minutes. Cook over low heat until gelatin is dissolved. Add water, lemon juice and salt; mix well.
- Place mayonnaise in a bowl. Gradually add broth mixture, stirring constantly until smooth. Chill until slightly thickened, about 40 minutes. Fold in spinach, eggs, bacon and onions. pour into an greased 6-cup mold. Chill until firm.
- When ready to serve, unmold onto a platter; garnish with tomatoes if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Spinach Salad Ring in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p70
Reviews for Spinach Salad Ring
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review