Spinach Ricotta Tart Recipe
- 2 pounds fresh spinach, torn
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 4 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 3 medium tomatoes, halved, seeded and sliced
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 1. Place spinach in a steamer basket. Place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water; bring to a boil. Cover and steam for 2-3 minutes or until wilted; drain well. Chop spinach; squeeze dry and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, ricotta cheese, onion, basil, salt, pepper and nutmeg; mix well. Chop spinach; squeeze dry and set aside. In large bowl, combine the eggs, ricotta cheese, onion, basil, salt, pepper and nutmeg; mix well. Add the spinach.
- 2. Place one sheet of phyllo dough in a 9-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray; spray phyllo dough with cooking spray. Place another sheet of phyllo across first sheet; spray with cooking spray. Repeat with remaining phyllo. Pour spinach mixture into phyllo crust. Fold excess dough under crust to form a rim; spray rim with cooking spray. Arrange tomato slices over tart. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with blue cheese. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice: 221 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 706mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.