Spinach Rice Casserole Recipe
From East Troy, Wisconsin, Kathleen Taugher shares a blend of spinach, mushrooms, brown rice and cottage cheese that's hearty enough to serve as a main dish. The creamy casserole gets nice crunch from sunflower kernels sprinkled on top.
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 cups (16 ounces) fat-free cottage cheese
- 2 cups cooked instant brown rice
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sunflower kernels
- 1. In a nonstick skillet that has been coated with cooking spray, saute mushrooms, onion and garlic until tender. Add spinach. In a large bowl, combine the flour and egg substitute until smooth. Stir in cottage cheese, rice, 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, thyme, pepper and mushroom mixture; mix well. Transfer to an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with sunflower kernels and remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Analysis: one 1/2-cup serving equals 97 calories, 175 mg sodium, 6 mg cholesterol, 12 gm carbohydrate, 8 gm protein, 2 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 meat.
Reviews for Spinach Rice Casserole
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC