Spinach Potatoes Au Gratin Recipe
- 5 cups thinly sliced red potatoes (about 7 large potatoes)
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon diced pimientos
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. In a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine potatoes and water. Cover and microwave on high for 5-6 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring twice. Drain; set potatoes aside.
- 2. In a large microwave-safe bowl, heat butter on high until melted, about 15 seconds. Add onion. Microwave, uncovered, for 30-60 seconds or until tender, stirring once.
- 3. Whisk in flour until blended. Gradually stir in the milk. Cook, uncovered, on high for 1-1/2 minutes; stir. Cook 2-3 minutes longer, stirring every minute, or until sauce is thickened and bubbly. Stir in cheese and salt. Pour over potatoes. Add spinach and pimientos; mix well.
- 4. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until heated through, stirring once. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 233 calories, 12g fat (8g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 521mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein
Reviews for Spinach Potatoes Au Gratin
"As with all TOH recipes, this dish is sure a keeper. Am wondering, though, if a 10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach could be used in place of fresh. Thank you for all replies."
"I probably did not use enough potatoes as it was a tad runny. However, the combination of ingredients makes for a tasty side dish."
"We love spinach and potatoes so this hit the spot. It is pretty and quick to make in the microwave and the flavor makes this a keeper. It would go with anything but tonight it is going with steak."