Spinach Potatoes Au Gratin Recipe
"This creamy mixture of sliced potatoes and spinach makes a pretty side dish," writes Edna Shaffer of Beulah, Michigan. "It may sound like it's labor-intensive, but it's not," she assures.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 5 cups thinly sliced red potatoes (about 7 large potatoes)
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon diced pimientos
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. In a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine potatoes and water. Cover and microwave on high for 5-6 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring twice. Drain; set potatoes aside.
- 2. In a large microwave-safe bowl, heat butter on high until melted, about 15 seconds. Add onion. Microwave, uncovered, for 30-60 seconds or until tender, stirring once.
- 3. Whisk in flour until blended. Gradually stir in the milk. Cook, uncovered, on high for 1-1/2 minutes; stir. Cook 2-3 minutes longer, stirring every minute, or until sauce is thickened and bubbly. Stir in cheese and salt. Pour over potatoes. Add spinach and pimientos; mix well.
- 4. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until heated through, stirring once. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 233 calories, 12 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 521 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC