Spinach Pinwheel Rolls Recipe
- 4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fat-free milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, trimmed and torn
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, lemon peel and 1 teaspoon salt. In a small saucepan, heat water, 3/4 cup milk, oil and 3 teaspoons lemon juice to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Place spinach in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam until wilted. Drain. Combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, lemon-pepper and remaining lemon juice and salt. Stir in spinach; cool.
- 4. Punch dough down. Roll into a 24-in. x 14-in. rectangle. Spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 20 slices. Coat baking pans with cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal. Place rolls, cut side up, on prepared pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Brush remaining milk over rolls. Bake at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 20 rolls.
1 each: 130 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Spinach Pinwheel Rolls
"These rolls were very good! My family really enjoyed them, even picky children! They are a little bit more effort to make versus some other recipes, but a nice change from the norm."
"I loved it it tasted so good :)"