- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 3/4 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- Pepper to taste
- 20 sheets phyllo dough (14-inch x 9-inch sheet size)
- In a large skillet, saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the spinach, feta cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, bread crumbs, salt, dill and pepper.
- Melt remaining butter. Layer and brush five phyllo sheets with melted butter. (Keep remaining phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Cut buttered sheets lengthwise into 2-in. strips. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of filling at one end of each strip; fold into a triangle, as you would fold a flag.Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with butter. Repeat three times, using five sheets of phyllo each time.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 28 appetizers.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Spinach Phyllo Bundles
Sort By :
The recipe says to cut buttered sheets "lengthwise," which to me means "along the length, or longest plane." But since the recipe states that it makes 28 appetizers (out of 4 stacks of phyllo), what is actually meant is, "Cut the buttered sheets into 2-inch strips along the 14-inch side" - so that seven strips are made from each stack!