Serve this vibrant pesto on pasta, pizza, sandwiches and more. If you don’t have fresh oregano on hand, you can omit it. Susan Westerfield — Albuquerque, New Mexico
16 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups loosely packed basil leaves
- 1 cup grated Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 cup olive oil
- Hot cooked pasta
- Place the first six ingredients in a food processor; cover and pulse
- until chopped. Add the walnuts, lemon juice and peel; cover and
- process until blended. While processing, gradually add oil in a
- steady stream.
- Serve desired amount of pesto with pasta. Transfer remaining sauce to
- ice cube trays. Cover and freeze for up to 1 month.
- To use frozen pesto: Thaw in the refrigerator for 3 hours. Serve with
- pasta. Yield: 2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons (calculated without pasta) equals 177 calories, 18 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 205 mg sodium,