Spinach Penne Toss
Spinach provides a delicious base for all the wonderful flavor combinations found in Kierste Wade's hearty salad. The Midland, Michigan reader writes, This salad is perfect for so many different occasions, including when company comes.”
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 3/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large
- skillet, saute red pepper and onion in 1 tablespoon oil for 3-4
- minutes or until tender.
- Drain pasta and place in a serving bowl. Add the red pepper mixture,
- spinach, bacon, feta cheese and tomatoes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, pepper, salt and remaining oil.
- Drizzle over pasta mixture; toss to coat. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 179 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 382 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.