Spinach Pasta Sauce Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk mild Italian sausage
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup each chopped carrot, green pepper and onion
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup beef broth or red wine
- 3/4 teaspoon each aniseed, seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder, brown sugar, dried basil and oregano
- 4 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- Hot cooked pasta
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook and crumble sausage until browned; drain. Add mushrooms, carrot, green pepper and onion; saute for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, sauce, paste, Parmesan, broth and seasonings; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add spinach; heat through. Serve over pasta; top with mozzarella and bacon. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 each: 274 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 1049mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 18g protein
Reviews for Spinach Pasta Sauce
"I have been making this sauce since it was first published in 1996! My family loves it. I never told the kids there was spinach in it though! This freezes well too. It is a keeper!"
"This is our go to recipe for spaghetti sauce, it's so good and it's a great way to sneak in spinach!"
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.