Spinach Pasta Sauce Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk mild Italian sausage
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup each chopped carrot, green pepper and onion
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup beef broth or red wine
- 3/4 teaspoon each aniseed, seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder, brown sugar, dried basil and oregano
- 4 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- Hot cooked pasta
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook and crumble sausage until browned; drain. Add mushrooms, carrot, green pepper and onion; saute for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, sauce, paste, Parmesan, broth and seasonings; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add spinach; heat through. Serve over pasta; top with mozzarella and bacon. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 274 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 1,049 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Reviews for Spinach Pasta Sauce
"I have been making this sauce since it was first published in 1996! My family loves it. I never told the kids there was spinach in it though! This freezes well too. It is a keeper!"
"This is our go to recipe for spaghetti sauce, it's so good and it's a great way to sneak in spinach!"
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.