- 1-1/2 pounds bulk mild Italian sausage
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup each chopped carrot, green pepper and onion
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup beef broth or red wine
- 3/4 teaspoon each aniseed, seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder, brown sugar, dried basil and oregano
- 4 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- Hot cooked pasta
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled cooked Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon
- In a Dutch oven, cook and crumble sausage until browned; drain. Add mushrooms, carrot, green pepper and onion; saute for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, sauce, paste, Parmesan, broth and seasonings; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add spinach; heat through. Serve over pasta; top with mozzarella and bacon. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Spinach Pasta Sauce
"We did a vegetarian version of this because we were out of sausage and bacon. It makes a nice thick sauce for pasta. Even the family members who don't love spinach enjoyed this recipe!We also didn't have anise, but I'd definitely like to try this again sometime with that secret ingredient."
"I have been making this sauce since it was first published in 1996! My family loves it. I never told the kids there was spinach in it though! This freezes well too. It is a keeper!"
"This is our go to recipe for spaghetti sauce, it's so good and it's a great way to sneak in spinach!"