Spinach Pantry Souffle Recipe
We have always loved soufflés, but I got tired of making the white sauce for them. One day I substituted condensed soup for the white sauce, and we all thought it was great. When we started watching our fat intake, I switched to the reduced-fat, reduced-sodium soup, reduced-fat cheese and just two egg yolks. —Diane Conrad, North Bend, Oregon
- 6 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Coat a 2-qt. soufflé dish with cooking spray and lightly sprinkle with Parmesan cheese; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the soup, cheese blend and mustard; cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in spinach. Stir a small amount of soup mixture into egg yolks; return all to the bowl, stirring constantly.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, stir a fourth of the egg whites into spinach mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining egg whites until combined. Transfer to prepared dish.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until the top is puffed and center appears set. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spinach Pantry Souffle in Healthy Cooking December/January 2013, p26
Reviews for Spinach Pantry Souffle(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Breakfast Egg Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Brunch Egg Recipes >
- Casserole Side Dish Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Diabetic Breakfast Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Egg Recipes >
- Eggs Recipes >
- Healthy Breakfast Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Breakfast Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Carb Breakfast Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Side Dishes >
- Low Fat Breakfast Recipes >