We enjoyed a similar casserole at a friend's house many years ago. She didn't have a recipe but told me the basic ingredients. I eventually came up with my own version and have shared the recipe many times since. It goes great with ham but also is filling by itself. —Doris Tschorn, Levittown, New York
Recommended: 25 Foolproof Ground Beef Casserole Recipes
- 4 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Paprika, optional
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Arrange half of the noodles in an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish; layer half of the spinach and half of the Swiss cheese. Spread with half of the white sauce. Repeat layers. Layer with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 20 minutes longer. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Spinach Noodle Casserole in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p76
Reviews for Spinach Noodle Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review