A colorful spinach stuffing peeks out from the golden skin in this recipe developed in our Test Kitchen.
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup julienned sweet red pepper (2-in. pieces)
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 bone-in chicken breast halves with skin
- 2 cups white wine or chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the spinach and red pepper; cook for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the Swiss cheese, bread crumbs, lemon peel, salt and pepper.
- Carefully loosen chicken skin on one side of each chicken breast half to form a pocket; stuff with spinach mixture. Place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until juices run clear.
- In a small saucepan, bring wine or broth to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until reduced to 1 cup. Slowly whisk in cream and mustard. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 2 minutes. Spoon over chicken. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Spinach-Mushroom Stuffed Chicken in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p45
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Spinach-Mushroom Stuffed Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review