Spinach Minestrone Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1. In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic until tender. Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, carrots, macaroni and oregano. Cook until vegetables and macaroni are tender, about 20 minutes.
- 2. Stir in spinach; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5-10 minutes. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
One 1-cup serving equals 143 calories, 0 fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 109 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.