"Sprinkle grated Parmesan on bowls of this flavorful soup that's chock-full of spinach, beans and pasta," recommends Gladys De Boer from her home in Castleford, Idaho. "Breadsticks are an easy accompaniment," she adds.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic
- until tender. Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, carrots, macaroni and
- oregano. Cook until vegetables and macaroni are tender, about 20
- Stir in spinach; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; let stand for
- 5-10 minutes. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: One 1-cup serving equals 143 calories, 0 fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 109 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.