Spinach Meatball Subs Recipe
- 2 large fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 jar (14 ounces) marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 6 Italian rolls or submarine buns, split
- 6 tablespoons shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 1. In a food processor, combine the first six ingredients; cover and process until blended. Add the egg whites, spinach and Parmesan cheese; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a large bowl; crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- 2. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow pan. Bake at 400° for 10-13 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 3. Place the marinara sauce in a large saucepan; add meatballs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 4. Spoon meatballs and sauce onto rolls. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Broil for 5-8 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
1 sandwich equals 355 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 769 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable.