These scrumptious sandwiches feature moist and tender meatballs prepared with a host of seasonings and spinach. Baked, then topped with sauce and mozzarella cheese, the mouthwatering handhelds from Susan Corpman of Newhall, Iowa will soon become much-requested favorites.—Susan Corpman, Newhall, Iowa
Recommended: Our Best Bacon Recipes
- 2 large fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 jar (14 ounces) marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 6 Italian rolls or submarine buns, split
- 6 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a food processor, combine the first six ingredients; cover and process until blended. Add the egg whites, spinach and Parmesan cheese; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a large bowl; crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow pan. Bake at 400° for 10-13 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Place the marinara sauce in a large saucepan; add meatballs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Spoon meatballs and sauce onto rolls. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Broil for 5-8 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spinach Meatball Subs in Light & Tasty August/September 2006, p66
Reviews for Spinach Meatball Subs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 17, 2010
"I think there was too much spinach in these; it overpowered the meat flavor."
Reviewed Jan. 12, 2010
"the whole family loved this recipe. we broiled provolone cheese over the top. we loved the heathy spin on it"