Spinach Meatball Subs Recipe
These scrumptious sandwiches feature moist and tender meatballs prepared with a host of seasonings and spinach. Baked, then topped with sauce and mozzarella cheese, the mouthwatering handhelds from Susan Corpman of Newhall, Iowa will soon become much-requested favorites.—Susan Corpman, Newhall, Iowa
- 2 large fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 jar (14 ounces) marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 6 Italian rolls or submarine buns, split
- 6 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a food processor, combine the first six ingredients; cover and process until blended. Add the egg whites, spinach and Parmesan cheese; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a large bowl; crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow pan. Bake at 400° for 10-13 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Place the marinara sauce in a large saucepan; add meatballs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Spoon meatballs and sauce onto rolls. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Broil for 5-8 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spinach Meatball Subs in Light & Tasty August/September 2006, p66
Reviews for Spinach Meatball Subs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 17, 2010
"I think there was too much spinach in these; it overpowered the meat flavor."
Reviewed Jan. 12, 2010
"the whole family loved this recipe. we broiled provolone cheese over the top. we loved the heathy spin on it"