Spinach Lentil Stew Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 4 teaspoons vegetable or chicken bouillon granules
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the water, lentils, bouillon, Worcestershire sauce, salt, thyme, pepper and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the carrots, tomatoes and spinach; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until lentils are tender. Stir in vinegar. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Spinach Lentil Stew
Sort By :
Delicious stew for a cold night in December. My husband went back for thirds! I used Korrs vegetable bouillion cubes and fresh spinach just at the end. I forgot the red wine vinegar but didn't miss it. Also I doubled the recipe, and I added an extra cup of lentils to make it thicker. Thank you for the great recipe!
This lentil soup is hardy and satisfying without being high in calories! I added celery and turkey keilbasa sausage. My picky 15 month old even loved it!
Delicious, full of body and flavor. I'm the only vegetarian in my family so am always looking for recipes that will satisfy me and my family, and this one fit the bill perfectly. I'll definitely make it again!
I get so bored with lentils (we eat them a lot) and I do not like frozen spinach at all, but this stew was delicious! The portions were very large and the recipe is wonderful. Thanks for sharing it!
My daughter-in-law is a vegetarian and I'm always looking for recipes that everyone will like. I made this stew and everyone raved about it! Definitely will make this again!