Spinach Lentil Stew Recipe
When my children requested more vegetarian dishes, this chunky stew became a favorite. Red wine vinegar perks up the flavor and carrots add color. We like to ladle helpings over cooked rice. —Alice McEachern of Surrey, British Columbia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 4 teaspoons vegetable or chicken bouillon granules
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the water, lentils, bouillon, Worcestershire sauce, salt, thyme, pepper and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 2. Add the carrots, tomatoes and spinach; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until lentils are tender. Stir in vinegar. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1-1/4 cups) equals 168 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 1,123 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC