Spinach Lentil Soup
Sally Peters needs just a few ingredients for her hearty soup. "It's so easy and delicious," says the Liverpool, New York reader. "Add any other vegetables you'd love."
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1-1/4 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, torn
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute carrots and onion in oil
- until tender. Add the water, salsa, lentils and salt. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until
- lentils are tender. Stir in spinach; simmer 5-10 minutes longer or
- until spinach is wilted. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cup equals 208 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 696 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 17 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Wine: This recipe pairs well with a light red wine.: Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Tangley Oaks Pinot Noir 2012 CA, pinot nose with great raspberry and plum flavors...a perfectly balanced lighter wine. Buy now and get 4