- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1-1/4 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, torn
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute carrots and onion in oil until tender. Add the water, salsa, lentils and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in spinach; simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Spinach Lentil Soup
Sort By :
The recipe should be called Lentil Spinach soup because it takes a lot more spinach than called for to make the spinach dominant. You can vary the proportions of each main ingredient a lot, depending on what characteristic you want to dominate, or use up the most. Notes: Less salt! Needs a tbl. sp. butter. Start with the lentils and set aside with some water still in them, they have to soak a long time to become soup base; over an hour of simmering is realistic. The lentils, or the whole base, can be prepared the day before and refrigerated. Use a little less water than called for.The finished soup will have the consistency of runny porridge, simmer more or add bread crumbs or croûtons to adjust texture if needed. Add water if thicker than you wanted. If spicy from the salsa, serve with a large spoonful of sour cream. Serve with fresh ground pepper on the table.
Apologies for the compact response, this site does not allow any formatting.
What a wonderfully hearty soup! I wasn't sure what to think of so many lentils, but their texture with the onions and spinach was delicious. Very healthy, but so filling and tasty.
This is a really good soup that is healthy and good for you. I really love it!
More Recipe Collections
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >