"My mom made these for us when we were kids," shares Amy Estes of Wichita, Kansas. "The twists are a tasty way to serve spinach." A hot roll mix makes them easy, but bake the twists with your favorite yeast-bread recipe if you'd like.
- 5 cups packed torn fresh spinach
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 egg
- Place spinach in a steamer basket; place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 2-3 minutes or until limp. Drain well and set aside. In a small skillet, saute onions and garlic in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; transfer to a bowl. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, basil, oregano and spinach; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the contents of the roll mix and yeast packets; beat in the warm water, egg and 2 tablespoons butter until dough pulls away from sides of bowl. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each portion into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Melt the remaining butter; brush over dough. Spread spinach mixture over dough to within 1/4 in. of edges. Fold each rectangle in half lengthwise; pinch seams to seal. Cut each rectangle into twelve 1-in.-wide strips.
- Twist strips and place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 25 minutes. Bake at 375° for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Spinach Herb Twists in Light & Tasty December/January 2006, p46
Reviews for Spinach Herb Twists
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 7, 2010
"I used my own bread dough. Next time I will add a lot more garlic."