Spinach Herb Twists Recipe
- 5 cups packed torn fresh spinach
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 egg
- Place spinach in a steamer basket; place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 2-3 minutes or until limp. Drain well and set aside. In a small skillet, saute onions and garlic in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; transfer to a bowl. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, basil, oregano and spinach; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the contents of the roll mix and yeast packets; beat in the warm water, egg and 2 tablespoons butter until dough pulls away from sides of bowl. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each portion into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Melt the remaining butter; brush over dough. Spread spinach mixture over dough to within 1/4 in. of edges. Fold each rectangle in half lengthwise; pinch seams to seal. Cut each rectangle into twelve 1-in.-wide strips.
- Twist strips and place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 25 minutes. Bake at 375° for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Spinach Herb Twists in Light & Tasty December/January 2006, p46
Reviews for Spinach Herb Twists
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 7, 2010
I used my own bread dough. Next time I will add a lot more garlic.