- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Over warm burner or very low heat, stir potatoes for 1-2 minutes or
- until steam is evaporated. Press through a potato ricer or strainer
- into a small bowl; cool slightly. In a Dutch oven, bring water to a
- Using a fork, make a well in the potatoes. Sprinkle flour over
- potatoes and into well. Combine the egg, salt and spinach; pour into
- well. Stir until blended. Knead 10-12 times, forming a soft dough.
- Divide dough into four portions. On a floured surface, roll portions
- into 1/2-in.-thick ropes; cut into 3/4-in. pieces. Press and roll
- each piece with a lightly floured fork. Cook gnocchi in boiling
- water in batches for 30-60 seconds or until they float. Remove with
- a strainer and keep warm.
- In a large nonstick saucepan, saute mushrooms and onion in butter
- until tender. Add wine or broth; cook and stir for 1 minute. Combine
- flour and broth until smooth; stir into pan. Stir in milk. Bring to
- a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 2
- tablespoons cheese and seasonings. Spoon sauce over gnocchi.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup gnocchi with 1/2 cup sauce equals 331 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 691 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.