- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 quarts water
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup white wine or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Over warm burner or very low heat, stir potatoes for 1-2 minutes or until steam is evaporated. Press through a potato ricer or strainer into a small bowl; cool slightly. In a Dutch oven, bring water to a boil.
- Using a fork, make a well in the potatoes. Sprinkle flour over potatoes and into well. Combine the egg, salt and spinach; pour into well. Stir until blended. Knead 10-12 times, forming a soft dough.
- Divide dough into four portions. On a floured surface, roll portions into 1/2-in.-thick ropes; cut into 3/4-in. pieces. Press and roll each piece with a lightly floured fork. Cook gnocchi in boiling water in batches for 30-60 seconds or until they float. Remove with a strainer and keep warm.
- In a large nonstick saucepan, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Add wine or broth; cook and stir for 1 minute. Combine flour and broth until smooth; stir into pan. Stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 2 tablespoons cheese and seasonings. Spoon sauce over gnocchi. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spinach Gnocchi in Portobello Sauce in Light & Tasty February/March 2007, p32
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Spinach Gnocchi in Portobello Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review