Spinach Garlic Soup Recipe
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a 5-qt. Dutch oven, bring spinach, broth and carrots to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool to lukewarm.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onion and garlic in butter until onion is soft, about 5-10 minutes. Add flour; cook and stir over low heat for 3-5 minutes. Add to spinach mixture. Cool slightly.
- 3. Puree in small batches in a blender until finely chopped. Place in a large saucepan. Add the cream, milk, pepper and nutmeg; heat through but do not boil. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 253 calories, 22 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 781 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Spinach Garlic Soup
"really liked this a lot ! after some saut? , threw it in my vitamix for a creamy piping hot deliciously quick lite dinner"
"This soup didn't taste bad, but it was difficult to get past the dark green color when eating it. My 11-month-old daughter loved it, but my 3-year-old son didn't care for it."
"I made this recipe for Taste of Home's low fat cookbook, which used skim milk and evaporated milk, as well as cooking spray to saute the onion and garlic. Great changes. Reduces the calories by more than 2/3! Probably not as rich, but definitely a good soup to make again."
"I wanted a soup that would help my poor sick familiy get better, and I found it. I did add more garlic since I wanted something to flush out all those uky germs out of them and WOW! This soup did it! Thank you!"