"During the years I owned and operated a deli, this was one of the most popular soups I served," recalls Marilyn Paradis of Woodburn, Oregon.
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a 5-qt. Dutch oven, bring spinach, broth and carrots to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool to lukewarm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onion and garlic in butter until onion is soft, about 5-10 minutes. Add flour; cook and stir over low heat for 3-5 minutes. Add to spinach mixture. Cool slightly.
- Puree in small batches in a blender until finely chopped. Place in a large saucepan. Add the cream, milk, pepper and nutmeg; heat through but do not boil. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Spinach Garlic Soup in Taste of Home April/May 1995, p17
Reviews for Spinach Garlic Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review