- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a 5-qt. Dutch oven, bring spinach, broth and carrots to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool to lukewarm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onion and garlic in butter until onion is soft, about 5-10 minutes. Add flour; cook and stir over low heat for 3-5 minutes. Add to spinach mixture. Cool slightly.
- Puree in small batches in a blender until finely chopped. Place in a large saucepan. Add the cream, milk, pepper and nutmeg; heat through but do not boil. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Spinach Garlic Soup
"This soup didn't taste bad, but it was difficult to get past the dark green color when eating it. My 11-month-old daughter loved it, but my 3-year-old son didn't care for it."
"I made this recipe for Taste of Home's low fat cookbook, which used skim milk and evaporated milk, as well as cooking spray to saute the onion and garlic. Great changes. Reduces the calories by more than 2/3! Probably not as rich, but definitely a good soup to make again."