- 1 loaf French or Italian bread (about 1 pound)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Cut bread in half lengthwise. Place with cut side up on a baking sheet; set aside. In a skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add spinach and stir until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and fennel seed; mix well. Spread evenly over bread halves. Sprinkle with tomato, mozzarella and basil. Bake at 400° for 8 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with parsley if desired. Cut into slices and serve immediately. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Spinach Garlic Bread in Taste of Home April/May 1993, p25
Reviews for Spinach Garlic Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 9, 2015
"Wonderful, trying with fresh spinach next, possibly with crumbled bacon on top"
Reviewed Sep. 30, 2008