Instead of the same old side of garlic bread, serve up wedges of toasty, mouthwatering Spinach Flatbreads from Kristen Westbrook in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. “I always seemed to have spinach that would spoil before I could use it all,” she explains. “So I started making these delicious and quick flatbreads. They’re low-fat, work well with almost any vegetable I have on hand and can double as a lig
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2/3 cup sliced onion
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 whole pita breads
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small skillet, saute onion in 2 teaspoons oil until tender; set
- Place pitas on an ungreased baking sheet; brush with remaining oil.
- Layer with spinach, onion and cheese. Sprinkle with pepper. Bake at
- 425° for 6-8 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: 1 flatbread equals 322 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 528 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.