Instead of the same old side of garlic bread, serve up wedges of toasty, mouthwatering Spinach Flatbreads from Kristen Westbrook in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. “I always seemed to have spinach that would spoil before I could use it all,” she explains. “So I started making these delicious and quick flatbreads. They’re low-fat, work well with almost any vegetable I have on hand and can double as a light lunch.”—Kristen Westbrook, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- 2/3 cup sliced onion
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 whole pita breads
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small skillet, saute onion in 2 teaspoons oil until tender; set aside.
- Place pitas on an ungreased baking sheet; brush with remaining oil. Layer with spinach, onion and cheese. Sprinkle with pepper. Bake at 425° for 6-8 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Spinach Flatbreads in Simple & Delicious May/June 2006, p19
Reviews for Spinach Flatbreads
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review