Spinach-Filled Turkey Roll Recipe
- 3/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, drained and squeezed dry
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 slices day-old whole wheat bread, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 4 teaspoons herb and garlic onion soup mix
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, green onions and celery in butter until tender. Stir in spinach and salt; heat through. Remove from the heat; cool. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, bread, minced onion, soup mix and pepper. Crumble turkey over mixture; mix well.
- 2. On a large piece of heavy-duty foil, pat turkey mixture into a 16-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spread spinach mixture to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up, starting with a short side; seal seams and ends.
- 3. Place seam side down in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 165°. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving equals 297 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 150 mg cholesterol, 470 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.