Spinach Crab Chicken Recipe
I altered a friend's recipe for crab-stuffed chicken to include one of my favorite vegetables- spinach. Now my husband requests this elegant entree all the time. Served over rice, it's special enough for company. -Vicki Melies Glenwood, Iowa
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Cook: 40 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 12 fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. For sauce, in a large skillet, sauce the onion, mushrooms and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt until blended. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness; sprinkle with pepper and remaining salt. In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, crab, spinach and parsley; stir in 1/2 cup sauce. Spoon 1/4 cup down the center of each chicken breast half. Roll up; secure with toothpicks. Place seam side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with remaining sauce.
- 3. Cover and bake at 375° for 35-45 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Discard toothpicks. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (6 ounces) equals 521 calories, 23 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 185 mg cholesterol, 1,074 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 56 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC