Spinach Corn Muffins
From Irvine, California, Jane Shapton shares the recipe for her savory corn muffins. Chopped spinach adds green flecks to the golden muffins...and jalapeno peppers add a little heat.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking
- powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the egg, milk and oil; stir
- into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the spinach,
- cheese and jalapenos.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill two-third full with batter.
- Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out
- clean. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: One muffin equals 153 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 108 mg sodium,