Spinach Corn Muffins Recipe
From Irvine, California, Jane Shapton shares the recipe for her savory corn muffins. Chopped spinach adds green flecks to the golden muffins...and jalapeno peppers add a little heat.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the spinach, cheese and jalapenos.
- 2. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill two-third full with batter. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
One muffin equals 153 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 108 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC