From Irvine, California, Jane Shapton shares the recipe for her savory corn muffins. Chopped spinach adds green flecks to the golden muffins...and jalapeno peppers add a little heat.
Recommended: 27 Protein Powerhouse Snacks
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the spinach, cheese and jalapenos.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill two-third full with batter. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Spinach Corn Muffins in Light & Tasty June/July 2003, p55
Reviews for Spinach Corn Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 30, 2013
"easy and great muffins. I was surprised that they had a little sweetness to them."
Reviewed Apr. 14, 2009
"Thanks for this unique recipe! I can't wait to find an meal to serve these with."