- In a small skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic, cook
- 1 minute longer. In a large bowl, combine the onion mixture,
- chicken, spinach, ham, cheese, egg whites, basil, pepper and nutmeg;
- set aside.
- Cook manicotti shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, for
- sauce, combine flour and broth in a large saucepan until smooth;
- gradually stir in the milk, salt, nutmeg, pepper and cayenne. Bring
- to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Spoon 1 cup into chicken mixture. Add cheese to remaining
- Spread 1 cup sauce into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with
- cooking spray. Drain shells; stuff with chicken mixture. Arrange
- over sauce. Drizzle with remaining sauce. Cover and bake at 375°
- for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: 2 manicotti equals 372 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 866 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 35 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.