I made this dish at a cooking class several years ago. These spinach- and chicken-filled crepes are topped with a tasty mushroom sauce.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced leek (white portion only)
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sherry or chicken broth
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- For crepe batter, in a small bowl, combine egg and milk. Add flour and salt until well blended. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat a lightly greased 6-in. nonstick skillet; pour 2 tablespoons batter into the center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to coat bottom evenly. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, greasing skillet as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.
- For sauce, in a large saucepan, bring vegetables and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, evaporated milk, salt and pepper until smooth; stir into vegetables. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese and sherry; stir until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat.
- Combine the spinach, chicken and 1 cup sauce; spread 1/4 cupful down the center of each crepe. Roll up and place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spoon remaining sauce over crepes. Cover and bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spinach Chicken Crepes in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p152
Reviews for Spinach Chicken Crepes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 13, 2010
"Loved this chicken crepe recipe; think the 2 T of cornstarch may be excessive -- would try 2 tsp. next time or add a lot more chicken broth to make it saucier; the flavor was great!"