- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen leaf spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute chicken until no longer pink; set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion and green pepper until crisp-tender. Add the spaghetti sauce, spinach, mushrooms and olives. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Drain pasta; add chicken and pasta to the pan. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Spinach Chicken Casserole
Sort By :
"Our family of 5 loved this dish! I substituted Shredded Pizza Cheese Blend for the Mozzarella Cheese and omitted the mushrooms."
"I made a few changes using this recipe for inspiration. I used rotisserie chicken, cut up, about 3 handfuls of fresh baby spinach, trimmed and rough chopped and fresh baby portobello mushrooms, chopped. I sauted the peppers & onions first, then added the mushrooms for about 2 minutes, finally adding the spinach last, stirring in the hot veggies & removing from heat. I then layered the pasta, veggies & pasta sauce and finished with cheese on top. It was a BIG hit with my family!"
"I don't know what went wrong, we hated this."
"Good but I did add some extra italian seasoning."
"My family loved it and my teenage daughter requests me to make it again."