- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 inches)
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add spinach; cook and stir 3-4 minutes longer or until liquid is evaporated. Transfer to a bowl; cool slightly. Stir in cheeses, eggs, bread crumbs, salt and pepper.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; spritz with cooking spray. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Cut sheet crosswise into four 9x3-1/2-in. strips.
- Place 1 tablespoon filling on one end of each strip. Fold dough over filling, forming a triangle. Fold triangle over, forming another triangle. Continue folding, like a flag, until you reach the end of the strip. Spritz end of dough with cooking spray and press onto triangle to seal. Turn triangle and spritz top with cooking spray. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling.
Place triangles on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Freeze option: Freeze unbaked triangles in freezer containers, separating layers with waxed paper. To use, bake triangles as directed, increasing time as necessary to cook through. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Spinach Cheese Triangles in Healthy Cooking August/September 2010, p33
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Spinach Cheese Triangles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 30, 2012
"I made these and they turned out great! Definitely a hit at the party I took them to."
Reviewed Jul. 28, 2010
"Easy Spanikopita-Spinach Pie."