Here's a delicious brunch dish for the holidays. I usually garnish with red and green pepper rings overlapped in the center for a festive touch.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 2 cups Wheat Chex
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- In a large skillet, saute the onion and peppers in butter until crisp-tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in spinach and cereal. Spoon into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, bacon, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour over cheese. Bake at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Spinach Cheese Strata in Country Extra January 2001, p49
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Spinach Cheese Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 12, 2009
"I thought this was awful! the wheat chex with milk was like eating mush not to mention very little flavor."