- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces uncooked linguine
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 6 cups milk
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded brick or Monterey Jack cheese
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add broth; bring to a boil. Add linguine and cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat. Add spinach and chicken; heat through but do not boil. Stir in milk; heat through. Add cheeses and stir just until melted. Serve immediately. Yield: 14-16 servings (4 quarts).
Originally published as Spinach Cheese Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p37
Reviews for Spinach Cheese Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 19, 2010
"Great tasting soup. It's a meal all by itself because it's quite filling. I will sprinkle the cheese, already mixed, on top of individual servings next time. The cheese clumps so quickly."