Spinach Cheese Phyllo Squares Recipe
- 6 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) fat-free cottage cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1. Layer three phyllo sheets in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, lightly spraying the top of each sheet with cooking spray.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the spinach, cheese, 2 eggs, parsley flakes and salt; spread over phyllo dough. Top with remaining phyllo sheets, lightly spraying the top of each sheet with cooking spray. Using a sharp knife, cut into 12 squares; cover and chill for 1 hour.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, milk and remaining eggs until blended; pour over casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 4. Remove from the refrigerator 1 hour before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
One piece equals 187 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 97 mg cholesterol, 593 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Spinach Cheese Phyllo Squares
"Sorry I have not tried, but I don't know how to remove this. I will post when I have made this."
"I probably wouldn't make this again because it's a wasteful to buy a package of Phyllo dough, thaw and only use 6 sheets."