Spinach Cheese Bake
EVEN THOSE who aren't fond of spinach will find this dish very tasty, because the spinach flavor is mellowed by the cheese and eggs. Those who enjoy spinach (like me) love this dish.
I discovered this delicious recipe at a church luncheon, and it has become one of my family's favorite.
-Elaine Hoehn, Merriam, Kansas
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), shredded
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter; blend in flour until
- smooth. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. Gradually stir in cheese
- until melted. Add spinach, bread crumbs, eggs and seasonings; mix
- Spoon into an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at
- 350° for 45-50 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 6-8
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 229 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 116 mg cholesterol, 611 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 12 g protein.