Spinach Cheese Appetizers Recipe
Hosting a get-together is simple when you have these easy hors d'oeuvres stashed in the freezer. Loaded with spinach flavor, the rich squares come from the Sequim, Washington home of Marian Platt.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:78 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1. Pour butter into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; tilt to coat. In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder. Whisk eggs and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until blended. Fold in spinach and cheese. Pour into prepared dish.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes; cut into small squares. Serve immediately or transfer to a freezer container. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- 3. To use frozen appetizers: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place on baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: about 6-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 43 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 85 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC