- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 pound cubed cooked roast beef
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- Sour cream and grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Stir in vinegar and wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is almost evaporated.
- Add the tomato sauce, water, peppers, bay leaves, brown sugar, bouillon and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce the heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Discard bay leaves. Add beef and spinach; cook and stir until heated through and spinach is wilted. Serve with sour cream and Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Spinach Beef Stew in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p82
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Spinach Beef Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review