I found this recipe about 15 years ago, and it's still one I turn to often. It's flavorful and pretty.—Meg Stankiewicz, Garfield Heights, Ohio
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 7 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- In a large bowl, combine flour and oats; cut in the butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Roll out dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer to plate; trim and flute edges.
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup and seasonings. Fold in the spinach; cool slightly. Stir in the eggs and 1 cup cheese until combined; spoon into crust.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until the center is set. Sprinkle tomato and remaining cheese around edge of pie. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Spinach Beef Pie in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p178
Reviews for Spinach Beef Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review