Spinach Beef Macaroni Bake Recipe
- 5-1/4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 large carrots, shredded
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions, carrots and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, salt, garlic powder, pepper and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Drain macaroni; add macaroni and spinach to beef mixture. Pour into two greased 3-qt. baking dishes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 casseroles (12 servings each).
1 each: 173 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 632mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Reviews for Spinach Beef Macaroni Bake
"This was not outstanding but good. I will make it again adding more spices. As some of the previous reviewers I also halved this recipe and used fresh spinach."
"Pretty good. I made 1/4 of the recipe. In the future I would use less spinach, add some tomato sauce, and cover during baking. Crushed red pepper would be good too. It took me more like 1 1/2 hours to prepare."
"We really enjoyed this recipe. This can easily be cut in half or make a full recipe and freeze the other half for another day. I would like to try it with substituting a can of tomato sauce for one of the cans of diced tomatoes."
"This dish became very tasty after I added a 12 oz jar of chili sauce."
"Jillknit - When a recipe calls for cooked fresh spinach, 1 pound of fresh spinach will yield 10-12 cups of torn leaves, which will cook down to about 1 cup. One package (10 ounces) of frozen spinach leaves yields about 1-1/2 cups after cooking. Hope this helps!!"
"Any help for amonts and directions for adding fresh spinach? I would appreciate any suggestions."
"I cut recipe in half to make for my family. Even those that don't like spinach love this recipe!"
"oh, yum! I loved this recipe! The hubby loved it too. Even tho it is just the two of us we had no problem eating it for several nights and I froze the rest."
"This is a yummy recipe. I made it with ground turkey and it was great. Might have to add more seasonings to taste because of turkey."
"This was really good! Light and tasty. My husband really liked it too. I halved the ingredients since it's just two of us. I will definitely make this again."
"This was a great recipe. I made this and then froze three in those metal casserole dishes. It was very good. I also put mozerella cheese on the top."
"Is there any way to make this recipe for 6-8 people? Would love to try it, but way too much for my little group."
"I have made this recipe and also tweeked a bit. I added feta cheese instead of Parmesan and omitted the carrots. I also added Greek Seasoning. Fresh spinach works too. I put in three cans of plain diced tomatoes instead of Italian. Easy recipe to make."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.