Spinach Bean Soup Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups packed torn fresh spinach
- 1 can (16 ounces) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups cooked small tube pasta or other small pasta
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 8 teaspoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the water, tomato puree, broth, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the spinach, beans, cooked pasta and hot pepper sauce, heat through. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 5 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 243 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 940mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 7g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat.
Reviews for Spinach Bean Soup
"This soup was delicious. I tore the spinach but will probably tear it into a lot smaller pieces next time, and there will be a next time!"