Spinach Bacon Sandwiches
My cousin introduced my to this sandwich years ago. Not only is it quick and easy, it's a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. Try it at your next potluck and see for yourself.
8-10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute garlic in oil. Add
- spinach, salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until heated
- through. Remove from the heat; cool for 5 minutes. Add bacon and
- mozzarella; mix well. Slice bread horizontally. Spread about 2-1/4
- cups spinach mixture on each half. Sprinkle with Parmesan if
- desired. Bake at 450° for 6-8 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 236 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 586 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.