Spinach Apple Salad
Whenever Mom made this salad, it was the first thing on my plate. With spinach, apples, raisins and a light dressing, this beautiful harvest salad is a feast for the eyes as well as the palate.
-Darlis Wilfer, Phelps, Wisconsin
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup diced unpeeled apple
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 cups torn fresh spinach
- 2 cups torn romaine
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, oil, salt and sugar; mix well. Add
- apple, onion and raisins; toss lightly to coat. Cover and let stand
- for 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, combine spinach and romaine in a large salad
- bowl; add dressing and toss. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 79 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 109 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.